Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
  1. Default Biotec leaders breaking trend

Traders who follow CNBC’s options action where alerted to the possibility of the biotec sector breaking trend on last weeks episode. A break in trend in Biotec bellwether CELG signaled a early warning for the group in recent weeks. Friday 3/21 all he** seemed to break loose. CELG broke below the 200 day and GILD broke below the 100 day, both on heavy volume. I bought the trend line support dip in GILD, ARWR and CLDX recently and got hammered Friday. The dip will be a buy opportunity at some point but for now the group is under some serious selling pressure.

2. Default

"The health care sector has had a rare downturn over the last 30 days, and some are starting to wonder if this is the start of a sector wide correction. The iShares Biotechnology Index has fallen 2.46% in the last month of trading, and biotech stalwarts Celgene (NASDAQ: CELG ) and Gilead Sciences (NASDAQ: GILD ) are both down over 8%. What's most surprising is that Celgene and Gilead are expected to have strong years in terms of earnings and the development of their respective clinical pipelines."

3. Default

I too picked up GILD on the sell off as mentioned in the following thread.

http://www.onlinetradersforum.com/th...151020/page-62

Despite the screen name my motivations for this buy are much more fundamental. I have various contacts in the medical and pharmaceutical industry that say GILD's Hep C drug is unlike anything they've seen to date. Patient outcome is off the charts positive. And finally, the cause of the sell off was a Congressional letter questioning the price of the treatment. Well, these professionals, doctors and pharmacists, tell me the cost of the GILD treatment is actually lower than the all-in cost of competitor, inferior treatments. My opinion is the CEO of GILD is being setup for a slam dunk to reply to Congress and we'll see the stock pop on his rebuttal. Bottom line: I see GILD as a $100 stock within 18 months.

4. Default

Now this isn't to say go out and throw a dart at the biotech sector as you once could a year ago and pick a winner. The sector rally is a little long in the tooth but GILD is best of breed with a blockbuster product and a strong pipeline. If you need healthcare exposure in your portfolio this sell off is a gift in my opinion.

5. Default

Thanks for the input on GILD. I am holding firm on my position and plan to add more at first sign of support. I also like BIIB and am looking to reenter the name after taking profits back in February. I also like ARWR and PRAN. Got beaten up pretty bad in ARWR Friday. PRAN chart (wedge formation) is looking pretty interesting.

6. Default