Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Margin accounts

Airbladekyj Guest

Default Margin accounts

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker for quite sometime, just registered now because I couldn't find this answer in the search anywhere.

This might sound silly, but I've never had a margin account setup. I realize that with different brokers there are different policies, but generally speaking if I understand this correctly you can get a margin account for twice your equity (or more if it's a portfolio margin), and that there is a minimum percentage you must be invested in with a stock or be threatened with a margin call.

I've been getting mixed signals on the following: If I have a 25k account, and I place an order for 10k, can I get the other 10k on margin eventhough I have 15k leftover equity? Or do I have to spend my own 20k money first, and only use the margin when my money has run short? ie. 20k on a stock, and 5k on another stock with 5k on margin?

Also, I've read that some places allow a 4:1 margin account. Do you not need to initially invest with 50% of the stock?

I'm just trying to figure out how to best optimize a margin account since it doesn't have the same T+3 regulations as equity accounts. Thanks!

Airbladexdc Guest

Your own money is used before margin is used. If this were not the case, many would be charged margin interest unnecessarily, which would make for a lot of unhappy campers (to put it mildly).

4:1 margin is available to those who have at least $25k in their account and have been flagged as pattern day traders. The 4:1 is for the DAY ONLY--overnight positions are still limited to 2:1.

Airbladeuhx Guest

I appreciate the quick response!

I have a follow-up question. If my own money has to be used before the margin, then in the above example with 25k equity and 25k margin, does that mean once I spend 25k of my own money I can spend another 25k margin? Meaning 0% personal investment on an individual stock?

Airbladeznf Guest

Right, assuming you're buying a marginable security, which not all of them are. Be careful though--just because you're borrowing the broker's money to buy doesn't make you any less accountable for losses. I would recommend NOT using margin until you have plenty of experience and a proven methodology (if then).