Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    AlexVoronoa Guest

Default Understanding the S&P 500 related ETF's

I’m having a hard time organizing the S&P 500 related ETF’s. I do know that we cannot invest directly in the S&P index, and I know there are a multitude of mutual funds centered around the performance of the S&P 500 index, but what I’m interested in is gaining a better understanding of the different ETF’s that has to do with the S&P.

To the best of my knowledge, there are three (and only three) ETF’s that are designed to match the performance of the index, and those are: 1) SPY, 2) IVV, and 3) VOO. Yes, there are other ETF’s based on the index, but some involve using different weights that alter their performance—but I’m not interested in those.

I’m especially interested in two things (and forgive me for not being clear): 1) the 2x and 3x performance S&P 500 ETF’s and 2) their respective inverses and multiples. Now I’m going to be exceptionally unclear, and if anyone understands what I’m saying, how about explain it to me! If SPY (for example) is not an inverse (and it’s not), then I’ll denote it with a plus sign (+), and if it’s supposed to match the index and thus doesn’t intend to double or triple its performance, then I’ll use a one to denote it (1). So, SPY, IVV, and VOO are all +1.

What I’m after is being able to differentiate the +1, +2, +3, -1, -2, and -3 ETF’s that relate directly to that particular index while excluding all others ETF’s. I need to know their symbols and relationship to each other. Then, I’ll have a much better feel for their differences.

Another complication has to do with understanding the who. For example, VOO is associated with Vanguard, and it just might be the case that not each investment company (is that the right term?) offers each one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alica44193 Guest

S&P 500 Index Symbols:

1) $SPX or SPX
    2) .INX
    3) ^GSPC

SPY [1X] (Standard & Poor's Depositary Receipts) SPDRs; State Street Global Advisors
    IVV [1X] (Blackrock; iShares)
    VOO [1X] (Vanguard)

Rydex [EQUAL WEIGHT]:

RSP [1x]
    RSU [2x]
    RSW [INVERSE 2X]

ProShares issued by ProFunds:
    SH [Inverse 1X]
    SDS [Inverse 2X]
    SSO [2X]
    UPRO[3x]
    SPXU[Inverse 3X]

I can organize my notes above into six categories: 1X, 2X, 3X, Inverse 1X, Inverse 2X, and Inverse 3X:
    Category 1 [1X]: SPY, IVV, VOO, and RSP
    Category 2 [2X]: RSU and SSO
    Category 3 [3X]: UPRO
    Category 4 [Inverse 1X]: SH
    Category 5 [Inverse 2X]: RSW and SDS
    Category 6 [Inverse 3X]: SPXU

The above categorization may better explain what I'm after. I'm looking to develop what I've started.

You may notice that I added RSP to the group of three I mentioned in my earlier post. That’s not to say my judgment has changed. I don’t think RSP intends to match the performance of the S&P, so RSP, RSU, and RSW really shouldn’t even be included in my categories, but I went ahead and listed them anyway so it could at least be understood just what it is I’m trying to do.

Alfredjok Guest

You also may want to do some research as I believe some of these are the eligible commission free ETF's trading today. It is catching on at a few online discount brokerages now and getting pretty competitive. It could save you a lot of money in the long term.

4. Default

Yes, thank you. I have started to look into it a little deeper and have found that to be true.