Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Aaaucehus Guest

Default Long term holds vs. Swing Trades

o most people have seperate accounts for their short term and long term holds?

I am a fairly young and new investor. I have a scottrade account that I just recently opened and use for swing trades.

I am wanting to start investing for a home purchase. My goal is to purchase my first home within the next five years. I am thinking of having a portfolio primarily comprised of ETF's. Should I set up an account with a different brokerage firm for this goal? I would like to have a % of my paycheck directly deposited into this account. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Is the ETF idea the best solution for the goal I am trying to accomplish?

2. Default

I have separate brokerages for Banking/investing and Trading, but you don't need to do that. You can have several accounts with Scottrade if you want a separation of the funds just for ease of use sake without any additional cost (I believe). You may find the relationship can extend to home mortgages etc.
    I use Merrill for all that stuff because they have an amazing array of product in a single location, and I get one statement for 12 different accounts including mortgage, credit cards, checking, brokerage acct, IRA's and others. If that works for your circumstances I can't recommend it more highly, but your also likely to find the services you need at a discount broker.

3. Default

I use Scottrade for day/swingtrades (and occasionaly for bag holding)

I use Sharebuilder for an IRA with the majority of the equity in SPDRS, which has been a good performer for me. Of course there are a host of etf's to choose from and I think they are a great choice for longterm investing. Sharebuilder offers direct debit from your checking account and automatic dividend reinvestment or a free money market account for your cash, they offer weekly, bi-weekly or monthly contributions to your investment plan. They also have varying plan levels and investment tools which can be handy in tracking your portfolio performance.

Aaronvup Guest

I'm not sure if there are penalties for early withdrawal to buy a house, I thought I had read somewhere once that home buying was exempt from penalties (you would need to get a definitive answer to that before considering an IRA to save for a house), but the deffered taxes would obviously have to be paid on any withdrawals.

Kudos to you for starting to save and invest at an early age, I wish I had done so.