Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Thread: Backyard fun

1. Default Backyard fun

We have an upcoming year round middle school intersession coming up. Some of you might remember the walking beast we started playing with last winter... we'll get back to that one when the weather turns. We should have good weather this time so it is going to be at the state forest with nature hikes, birding, etc. The theme is also going to be pioneering. Over the summer I instigated a build of DaVinci's bridge when they needed a lashing project, the kids enjoyed it. I was asked to do a catapult and suspension bridge this time, again using lashed timbers. Not my favorite way to build but I said I'd give it a shot. I got the poles back from the scout camp and some more cut down, rounded up some ropes and had a fun weekend working out the steep end of the learning curve on the bridge here at home. Thought some of you might be able to use it for ideas for scout type fun.

I cut some poles with forks in them and began experimenting with the end towers. This is one design that worked pretty well.

2. Default

Can't wait to see the catapult! Need a video if it works well enough